Friday, October 15, 2010

It's Friday! Let's ponder death.

"The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

And the mercy seat is waiting
And I think my head is boiling
And in a way I'm spoiling
All the fun by all this truth and consequence
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth
And anyway I told the truth
And I'm not afraid to die.
I would be remiss not to point you to Johnny Cash's hauntingly brilliant cover as well.
And the mercy seat is smoking
And I think my head is melting
And in a way that's helping
To be done with all this twisting of the truth
A lie for a lie
And a truth for a truth
And anyway I told the truth
But I'm afraid I told a lie.
"Hush (Somebody's calling my name)" - Nashville Bluegrass Band

Oh my brother, now won't you hush, hush
Somebody's calling out my name
O my Lord, O my Lord, what shall I do?
"Sometimes our dreams float like anchors" - William Elliott Whitmore

Oh the skin, oh the skin
That this old world has put me in
I can't wait to shed, I can't wait to shed
Lord, I'll be free when I'm dead.
"Parting Friends" - Word of Mouth Chorus

Farewell my friends, I'm bound for Canaan,
I'm traveling through the wilderness
Your company has been delightful,
You, who doth leave my mind distressed
I go away behind to leave you, perhaps never to meet again
But if we never have the pleasure, I hope we meet on Canaan's land.
And, inevitably...

"Romeo is bleeding" - Tom Waits

Romeo is bleeding
He climbs to the balcony at the movies
and he'll die without a wimper
like every hero's dream
like an angel with a bullet
and Cagney on the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment