Sunday, May 22, 2011

Last night

I dreamed that I was reading an editorial written by Joel Osteen about the Rapture wherein he criticized Harold Camping and the Orthodox Church (except that he didn't refer to it that way, he just called them Macedonians and Serbians) by heavily referencing some obscure writings of Saint Gregory Nazianzen, saying that the Eastern Europeans routinely misread this one passage. I woke up planning to share the editorial with some friends because I was surprised that Mr Osteen had such a strong theological background, and then I was sad, because that editorial clearly does not exist.

I don't remember the point of theological controversy in the dream, but I'm taking this as an opportunity to read up on apokatastasis (even though upon reflection a pnematological dispute might make more sense, insofar as anything could in that dream universe-- especially since we remember the Second Ecumenical Council today). Truly fascinating stuff, I'll try to elaborate more later.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this infinitely beats my dream this afternoon about the constitutional-law status of "interhatesex" (which apparently meant sex between people who had bias-related reasons to hate one another). I will note that I liked the part where a dream-atheist gently but cruelly said to a homeless man, "It's like Christmas, only you have to be the sheep."

    ReplyDelete